Sunday, March 15, 2020

A Few of My Favorite Things ...

A Few of My Favorite Things ...

1. Red/White Quilts
2. History
3. Hand Embroidery
4. When all of those things come together

I love history, I love documentaries, I love history books, and I love hearing historic stories.
I have several books on the history of certain styles of quilts and/or quilting techniques. 
But until a few years ago when I went to a "Bed Turning" with my sister at a local quilt show, I had never put my love of history together with my love of quilts and all things quilting.

I'm also the person who finds quilting (and other projects) unfinished but loving made and brings them home to finish them. And, apparently it isn't just quilt tops or quilt blocks ... 
I got these American History Themed Red Embroidery blocks online last year. Actually, my oldest son bought them for me after I expressed interest in them.


Each block is a scene of American History. Each block has a description hand embroidered,
unfortunately I can't figure out all of them. Below are a few that I have trimmed and pieced and was able to figure out the description. 


There are 24 blocks total and I have trimmed them all to 8.5 inches.


The First Flag


Colonial Justice


Primitive Indians 


Puritans


Minute Man

These blocks will become a sweet historical addition to my Red/White Quilt Collection. Over the years I have stopped purchasing unfinished projects because I was spending more time finishing discarded unfinished quilt finds as opposed to creating and making my own quilts. But, I just couldn't pass up these sweet little red historical embroidery blocks and I'm so glad that I didn't.

History is important and I'm glad that I will be able to share a bit of history and my love of quilting with the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment