Monday, May 18, 2020

Gardening ... Who Knew??

Gardening ... Who Knew??


My brother pretty much has this gardening thing down to a science. He has planted various types and sizes of tomatoes, various types of peppers, cucumbers, various types of squash, beans and potatoes. He asked me if there was anything that I wanted to plant but I couldn't think of anything outside of what he has already planted. The beauty of this is that over the years my brother has narrowed it down to planting what we all actually eat. So many other vegetables could be planted but in our case ... probably not eaten. Waste not, want not.


I did ask if I could plant some sunflower seeds and flowers, he graciously agreed and tilled rows on either end of the garden for me to plant.
On the sunny end of the garden I planted the row of sunflowers and on the partially shady end of the garden I planted marigolds, zinnias, cosmos and the herb lemon balm.

Now ... it is just a waiting game ... in 14 to 21 days, hopefully the seeds will have sprouted and will be well on their way to thriving and producing beautiful flowers.

My Grandma Dorothy always had a row or two of flowers in her garden. Flowers are great for attracting pollinators to help the garden grow. I think that I recall that my Grandma Dorothy always planted marigolds at the corners of her garden. I wish I could remember all of the types of flowers that my Grandma planted. Her yard and garden were always such a beautiful sight to see.


These are the beans that we planted the first evening I went to help in the garden.
It takes 70 days seed to being able to pick beans, so around the first week of July we should be able to pick a mess of beans. I can't wait!
Most of the plants that we covered to protect during the cold snap didn't survive, but we re-planted on Friday. I'm not sure what we will be up to this week in the garden but I'm looking forward to it all the same.

Who knew garden was so much fun! It is hard work but it is very enjoyable.
I'm enjoying the process.

#wearefamily

No comments:

Post a Comment