Thursday, April 7, 2022

Quilt Backings ... Are A Thing ...

Quilt Backings ... Are A Thing ...

Quilt backings have always been a "thing" for me. Part of the quilting process that I often don't think about until of course I need one. Some folks purchase the backing fabric for their quilts when they buy their fabrics to make a quilt. Which makes perfect sense and I'm sure why I don't do the same. Especially when I am making a quilt from a pattern and the pattern gives the yardage needed for the backing. But here's the deal ... sometimes even when I am working with a pattern, I feel like the quilt needs a little something more ... like an extra border, for instance. There are also patterns that I start and ended up not finishing per the pattern. An example of this is "The Mugs" Sew A Long that I started and got bored with. I ended up piecing the mugs I had completed into a quilt top that was a bit larger than the pattern called for. Also ... I have been sewing my stash (for years now) and making scrap quilts. I'm on Sewing My Stash Scrap Quilt # 18 (batiks) as we speak. I never know what size these scrap quilts will end up being. So it is safe to say that getting the backings pieced for 4 completed quilt tops over the weekend was very satisfying!


Our local Joann's is moving locations and is presently in the process of liquidating there present store. I purchased 108 inch backing fabric for this quilt over the weekend for 30% off. Which means I got one continuous piece of backing fabric that did not need to be pieced for my Historic Redwork quilt. I will be hand-quilting this quilt top.


I pieced a cute 100% cotton delicate blue and white floral fabric for this backing.


I purchased a cute 100% cotton flannel fabric and Joann's months ago that I was actually going to use for another quilt backing but once I got it home I decided it would be the perfect backing for my Pumpkin Patch quilt top. 


I purchased a 100% cotton flannel of red maple leaves on white, on sale for $5 a yard from www.fabric.com
I'm always on the lookout for sales on yardage that I can use for quilt backings. I was able to purchase 9 yards which was enough to make the backing for my Red/White Orphan block quilt top (pictured above) and for my Red/White Double Dip quilt top (pictured below).


It feels great to get these 5 quilts backed and ready for quilting.
I'm ticking away at getting all of the quilt tops on my completed quilt top list quilted, bound, and FINISHED!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment