Thursday, October 13, 2022

Red/White Churn Dash

 Red/White Churn Dash

Adding to my Red/White Quilt Collection


In June 2022, I started my Churn Dash quilt. I'm using a free pattern by Kairle Oaks of Virgin River Quilt Co. I cut the fabrics for the smaller version of this quilt and pieced about 14 of the blocks before I lost interest and returned to the Legendary Quilt Kit that I was also working on at the time. This past weekend I pulled this quilt project back out and evaluated where I was in the process and what I needed to do to complete the project. I had to cut a few more blocks and/or portions in order to complete all of the blocks needed. In this case 42 blocks are needed. By Sunday evening I had cut the remaining fabrics needed and pieced almost half of the blocks.


The fabric I'm using for the center patch of my Churn Dash is a print called Clemetine. I used it as backing for another Red/White quilt in my collection.


These little motifs in the fabric just make me smile. I was originally drawn to this fabric because it reminds me of the primary reading books when I was elementary school.


I love this pattern. As you know I love red and white quilts. I'm passionate about them. No matter the pattern, Red/White quilts are just stunning. 2 colors, light and dark, always stunning. As of late I've been drawn to more traditional patterns such as the Churn Dash, Jacob's Ladder, and Nine Patch blocks. I enjoy modern pattern designs and improvisational blocks/quilts but recently traditional quilt block patterns have caught my eye and peaked my interest. I do have 2 patterns by Elizabeth Hartman that I'm going to try piecing as modern Red/White quilts. We will see how that goes. It is my Goal to make 2023 the year of Red/White quilts. This Churn Dash quilt is one of three red/white quilt projects that I am currently working on. You know me and lists ... I have several lists going at any given time ...
1. Churn Dash
2. Little Red Houses
3. Red/White Abstract 9 Patch



No comments:

Post a Comment