Saturday, September 28, 2019

Sock Knitting is Magical

Sock Knitting is Magical

November of 2011 I decided that I wanted to learn how to knit, so a took a class at one of the local yarn shops here in town. I made a dishcloth, scarf, and hat but,
I specifically wanted to learn how to knit socks.
March of 2015 I finished my first pair of socks and I haven't stopped making socks since.

Over the years I have finally found a very plain and very easy toe up sock pattern and an equally easy cuff down pattern. I wanted to learn how to knit socks, specifically, in order to always have a project to work on that I could carry with me. Sock knitting is the perfect small portable project.


I enjoy sock knitting very much. It is both relaxing and rewarding.
When I cast on, I cast on both socks at the same time. I don't use the method where both socks are cast on the same circle needle. Both of my socks are cast on separate sets of circular needles. For the toe up sock pattern I use circular knitting needles but for the cuff down sock pattern I use double pointed needles. Why? No real reason it is just how I initially learned how to knit the patterns I use.
Why do I cast on both socks at the same time? Because I like having both of my socks completed at the same time. I knit a bit on one then I knit a bit on the other one until the pair is complete.


To this day ... whenever I reach the heel portion of the pattern and turn the heel while knitting socks ... it is like magic to me.
On minute your are knitting a tube ... and the next minute you have turned the heel and like magic you have a sock. I know that sounds silly but for me it is exciting.

There are so many beautiful sock yarns available these days but presently I really enjoy using Felici sock yarn by Knit Picks. The color of Felici yarn pictured here is called Goth Kitty.
This yarn is machine washable (tumble dry on low).
Each pair of socks takes 2, 50 gram balls of yarn.
This yarn can be ordered online at
www.KnitPicks.com

These days if you see me out and about I'm carrying my current sock project with me. I knit each day at lunch time at work. If I have a doctor or dental appointment, I knit while I wait my turn. If I'm out and about waiting for my turn for anything ... I'm sock knitting. I enjoy having something to occupy my time while I wait. Or just as a relaxing activity after I've eaten my lunch in the break room at work. Last year I had the pleasure of teaching a co-worker how to knit as well.

As Fall and Winter approach I'm looking forward to wearing my handmade socks! 
😍😍😍



No comments:

Post a Comment