Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Vivid Memory

 Vivid Memory

On Sunday April 28th my daughter went with me to Riverside Tattoo Company where I got this spider tattooed on my arm.

Why? You ask?

April 28 of this year would have been my dad's 88th birthday. He died when I was 5 years old. I don't really have a lot of memories of him but one of the only vivid memories that I do have is of a spider tattoo he had on his right shoulder blade. 

I don't know why we remember what we remember, especially when we are small children but in honor and memory of my father, Clyde Edward Gibson, I got this little spider tattooed on my arm. I see it everyday and it makes me think of my dad and it makes me smile.


Crazy ... maybe ... but I love it!
I think he loved Saturday morning cartoons as much as I did. I also remember sitting on his lap and watching cartoons. I also remember that when we did go to the Drive-In movies they ran cartoons at the end, we would be one of the last cars to leave after watching those cartoons. As an adult I realize my dad was probably just waiting for all of cars that were racing to the exits to leave, but still, I do remember that.

The rest of my memories involve VA Hospitals, wheelchairs, the wheelchair ramp in our house and Easter Baskets. A very specific Easter Basket. Which is probably why I crochet an Easter Basket for my daughter every year. The connections our minds make ..


As I had never gotten a tattoo before I was a bit panicked when I woke up to this black blob. Fortunately my daughter reassured me that this was normal. Once you are tattooed they place a medicated sterile film over the tattoo that is recommended to be left on for 4 days. I could not see how my little spider was not going to be this messy blob but sure enough upon removal the tattoo was exactly as I had hoped and wanted.

I love you Dad! 


No comments:

Post a Comment