Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Mending

Not only am I mending clothing but I am mending from 
a terrible cold.

Tis' the season I suppose.

A few days ago I decided to mend my favorite cardigan sweater instead of tossing it and searching for a new one. Why ... because I really love this comfy old sweater.


Somehow over time I ended up with holes in both of elbows.
I have never mended a sweater, truth be told I have probably never mended any clothing.


As this was my first mending attempt, I think it went pretty well.


I've learned a few things.
1. I should have used yarn the same size and weight as the yarn the sweater was originally made of.
2. I probably should have knitted a swatch and woven it in as a patch.


Instead, I chose a heavier weight of yarn in a contrasting color, I wanted to see my patches. I crocheted the patches as I went picking up the stitches at the edges of the holes to secure the patches to the sweater. On one elbow I crocheted a circular patch and on the other elbow I crocheted a larger square patch.

I love the results and I love that I have added new life to my favorite sweater. There is something very rewarding about mending an article of clothing and not just throwing it away.




No comments:

Post a Comment