Friday, May 8, 2020

Gardening 101

Gardening 101

For years I have been wanting to learn how to garden.
My Grandma Dorothy was a wonderful gardener, as well as being quilter.
The quilting she passed along to me ... the gardening she passed along to my brother.


So I asked my brother if he would teach me his gardening ways in return for helping him plant, maintain and work his garden. HE SAID, YES!!!!
This weekend we are supposed to have a few very cool evenings so he asked me to come and help him cover some of the new plants he had just set in the garden.
We covered the peppers and the cucumber plants he had just put in the ground.
After that he asked me if I wanted to help him plant a row of beans.
YES PLEASE!!! 

Molly approved ... (the cute pup in this photo)

I helped plant this row of beans. Around the first week of July I should be able to pick some beans!
I'm so excited! Not only that, but my sister in law is going to teach me how to can beans.


This view ... House Mountain

Needless to say, my little homestead views are NOT even remotely as grand and beautiful as this, but I love my little homestead in the making.  As I mentioned, I have been wanting to plant a garden for a few years now. But I also know that I need to learn a few gardening skills before I invest in the materials to begin gardening on my own. I don't want to waste money buying items I don't need and frankly I want my gardening to be successful. Helping my brother will help me learn about planting and gardening skills that will hopefully give me the confidence I need to build my own little garden.

It is my hope that through the summer helping my brother with his garden that I can learn enough to get a few raised bed gardens on my homestead ready for fall planting of some root vegetables and cool weather plants.  I am so excited about this new adventure.


My brother the family gardener and me


Needless to say, my little plot of dirt doesn't justify the purchase of one of these things but after driving this thing around ... I really want one!
hahaha!!!!
For my brother and his homestead it is a necessary gardening tool ... for me, not so much!
But, it is so fun to drive!!!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool post Lori, I'm excited for you. Nice that you can do that together with Pat.

    ReplyDelete