Sunday, May 31, 2020

Now We Wait ...

The garden is planted ...
and now all we do is wait ...

Anyone who knows me ... knows I don't have a lot of patience!
hahaha!!!

Every time I see the garden, there is something new blooming or sprouting. It's crazy how excited I get when I see new blooms or a row of seeds I planted sprouting up through the dirt.


I planted 3 marigold flower plants that my brother had purchased for pots for his porch but they ended up not being needed. So in the garden they went.
All of the flower seeds that I planted are beginning to sprout and I am so excited.  I really can't wait to see all of the flowers we have planted when they begin to bloom.


We covered the brussel sprouts cauliflower and tomato plant rows with straw to keep the weeds at bay and the moisture in. The straw also helps to be able to walk the rows after it has rained.


Last week we had pulled the "suckers" and leaves from the bottom of the tomato plants and in just a few days the plants look bigger and have blooms on them. There were a few plants that already needed to be tied up they are getting so tall.


You may not be able to tell in this photo but there are 6 new freshly planted rows.
We planted one row of Old Burgundy okra and two rows of crimson Clemson Spineless 80 okra. The three remaining rows are Roma II green beans. We will be putting straw down in these rows as well once the plants sprout and are tall enough.



***If you will remember, we planted a row of Roma II green beans earlier in the season and that row did NOT sprout. Apparently, the ground was still to cold.***
So much to learn about this gardening thing!!! 


Last week we started covering the rows with straw to keep the weeds down in the garden but it started raining so we didn't get finished. After planting the okra and beans we finished up that task.
This is the row of various types of peppers. To the left of this row is the cucumber arch and all of the squash and zucchini plants.


The yellow squash and zucchini.
The cucumbers are set in the arch right above these plants.


Check it out, there is already a banana pepper!
I'm so excited!


Squash blooms


The row of onions are in and surrounded in straw.


Three rows of potatoes!


English lavender and a row of sunflowers.
It turns out that my brother loves lavender and this little plant is a test to see if he can grow lavender in his garden. I hope this little lavender plant grows and thrives!


My brother trimmed a few stalks from this blackberry bushes so that the bushes will become fuller. I brought those stalks home and planted them in my backyard. 
Fingers crossed they will take root!!!

I'm really enjoying my time in the garden and learning new things.
I'm really looking forward to watching this garden grow.

#wearefamily

No comments:

Post a Comment