Thursday, May 7, 2020

Hand Quilting

Hand Quilting

Modern Maple Leaf
This quilt pattern can be found online as a free pdf in a bizillion places so I have not provided a link. There are more than a few variations of the Maple Leaf pattern as well.

I did actually make this quilt from a pattern called, "Modern Maple Leaf" but I have long since lost the pattern. And, I actually made this quilt years ago. At least 5 years ago, if not more.
.... so I don't remember any of the details about the pattern ...


I pieced this quilt top using all of the fabrics I had collected over the years, that had "cat" motifs on them. The backing is a 100% cotton flannel from Joann's with "cats".


When I made this quilt I knew that I wanted to hand quilt it because ... well, I made this quilt for myself. I love the soft feel of hand quilting. Hand quilting allows for a softer, fluffier, feel to a quilt. Or at least I think so.


I took a class on Big Stitch hand quilting from Pepper Cory
at one of the AQS Shows that was presented in Knoxville years ago.
I fell in love with big stitch hand quilting from that moment on.
I used to hand quilt all of the quilts that I made but gave way to professional machine quilting years ago. There were just so many quilt patterns that I wanted to piece ... but from time to time I will still hand quilt a quilt that I make.

Last weekend I finally took this beautiful quilt out of the closet to begin hand quilting again.
I'm a little over a third of the way finished ... I'm looking forward to getting back to hand quilting.



No comments:

Post a Comment