Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Hackberry Tree

 Hackberry Tree

Two species of hackberry are commonly found in Tennessee: southern hackberry or sugarberry ( Celtis laevigata ), and northern hackberry ( Celtis occidentalis ). In this area of range overlap the two species hybridize, so it is often not possible to unambiguously assign an individual tree to a particular species.


Normally, I don't like cutting down trees but I had a rotting from the inside out Hackberry tree right at the corner of my home. Every time a storm would roll in or the wind would pick up ... I would pray that the tree wouldn't fall down on my house or onto the storage barn in my neighbors yard or the privacy fence in my other neighbors yard! So that tree had to go!  Now that it has been cut down and the stump has been ground down ... I am breathing so much easier. 



No comments:

Post a Comment