Saturday, October 9, 2021

A Maker

A Maker

I enjoy making useful things and things that aren't so useful too. Through the years my reason for making things has changed and evolved. I used to make things, specifically quilts, as gift. Mostly for family but also for friends. I made graduation quilts, baby quilts, and t-shirt quilts.

Then I tried my hand at making quilts for profit. Commission work as Gibby Girl Design. I was mostly commissioned to make t-shirt quilts. Sadly I found there was no money, profit, in doing commission work. Simply ... most folks aren't interested in paying what a handmade quilt is actually worth.

These days I've been making the quilts that I'm interested in making. I've purchased patterns over the years but because I was busy making gifts or working on commission work never had the chance to make. Well, for the past three years or so I've been making those quilts ... for whom you ask ... for me. I've been making for me, for the challenge, for the joy, for the excitement and pleasure of just making. Not with a recipient in mind ... not as a gift ... not as a request ... not as a business venture ... just making to be making. Enjoying the process and loving the satisfaction of doing something that I love.

Here are a few of the quilts that I have made just for me ...


Red/White Collection
Cat Faces


Crescent I


Crescent II


Cactus Quilt


Fancy Fox II


Ghosts!


Moda Love x 4


Red/White Collection
Orphan Blocks I


Great Smoky Mountains Panel Quilt


Red/White Collection
Tribute Star


Red/White Collection
Historic Redwork Quilt


 

No comments:

Post a Comment